Have a look at this ABC job ad for an announcer for one its South Australian region stations.
No focus on excellence or diversity of opinion - here's the ABC's 'focus'
In line with our focus on diversity, applications are strongly encouraged from Indigenous Australians, people from a range of cultural and linguistic backgrounds, people with disability and LGBTIQ+ individuals. The ABC also aims to achieve a gender-balanced workforce.
Before they even talk about the role or the qualifications, they state their code:
- they don’t want an Anglo Saxon
- they would prefer an Aborigine
- and would really want a woman
- ideally the woman would tick all the boxes.
Funnily enough, the audience will have no idea about the person’s skin colour because it’s radio - and listeners don’t much care .. if the quality is good.
If the ABC was fair dinkum in serving its listeners, it would just want someone who was talented.
But at the ABC tokenism rules. Screw the audience. They always come last.
Job no: 501725
Work type: Ongoing Full Time
Location: Port Pirie
Categories: Journalism/Content Making, Presenter/Reporter
- Be a part of Australia's independent national broadcaster
- Build strong engagement with local audiences
- Full-time, permanent position
The ABC strives for diversity and inclusion in the workplace, and to promote a culture of opportunity. Through its services the ABC seeks to represent, connect and engage with all of the Australian community. In line with our focus on diversity, applications are strongly encouraged from Indigenous Australians, people from a range of cultural and linguistic backgrounds, people with disability and LGBTIQ+ individuals. The ABC also aims to achieve a gender-balanced workforce.
For more information on inclusive employee networks within the ABC please refer to ABC LinkedInand Life Page
About the Role
You will be responsible for presenting the breakfast program on ABC North and West, and creating content for multiple platforms, to engage local and national audiences. Part of the program also broadcasts across the Eyre Peninsula.
The breakfast program sets the news agenda for the day, takes a deeper look into issues affecting regional areas, and celebrates the wins of local communities. As such, the presenter plays an important role in helping identifying what stories can have a life beyond the program, and working with the rest of the team to share it with new audiences, be it on national radio, on the 7pm TV news or online.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Prepare and present the breakfast program from 6.35-10.00 am every weekday.
- Preparing and presenting distinctive and compelling content that engages local audiences.
- Contribute to the implementation of the Local Emergency Coverage plan, communicating with relevant stakeholders
- Contribute to planning and commissioning processes to develop and distribute new content ideas to achieve strong reach and engagement with audiences
We are looking for an experienced and dynamic individual with demonstrated ability to produce and present editorial content clearly and accurately.
In this key role, you will also bring:
- Accomplished program making skills with a proven ability to develop and make original and engaging audio and cross-platform content for target audience.
- Sound editorial skills including the ability to source and analyse information.
- Proficiency in operating a radio panel and a proven understanding of strong radio craft.
- Demonstrated understanding of stories and issues in the North and West broadcast region.
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a small team.
About ABC Regional & Local
The ABC’s Regional & Local team is all about Australian communities and their conversations. Our teams create unique and distinctive content that connect communities and shape lives in metropolitan, regional and remote Australia. From our eight capital city radio stations, our forty four regional bureaux, through to screen, live events and sport, Regional & Local is about real people, real places and real life.
For further details on the role and requirements, please refer to the full position description: 30000645 PRESENTER.pdf