Further client acquisition successes over the weekend for the Immigration Department
Monday, 25 March 2013
Things are going along swimmingly for the shareholders of Serco and the recipients of our immigration department client attraction bonuses.
The Australian newspaper reports that the former ACT Labor Chief Minister Jon Stanhope attributes the large numbers arriving to calmer seas.
I think free medical, free dental, free accommodation, free legal services, free internet, free food, free welfare, free education, permanent residency, family reunion rights and the unimaginable generosity and trusting disposition of this country and its officials are more likely to be the real reason that most of our new clients have acted on our offer. Just remember, all you have to do is get here, that's this government's message. Everything else is spin.
End of the swell sparks asylum-seeker surge
- BY:NICOLAS PERPITCH
- From:The Australian
- March 25, 2013 12:00AM
A SPIKE in the number of asylum-seekers brought to Christmas Island at the weekend has been attributed to pent-up demand at the end of the swell season as people-smugglers take advantage of calmer seas.
At least four asylum-seeker boats were taken to the Indian Ocean island by Australian authorities between Saturday evening and Sunday morning.
Christmas Island administrator and former Labor ACT chief minister Jon Stanhope said it could have been more.
"I think five asylum-seeker boats, three to the island, and two lots of asylum-seekers brought to Christmas Island by the Navy and by Customs, have arrived in perhaps the last 24 hours," Mr Stanhope said. "That in itself is unusual."
Home Affairs Minister Jason Clare yesterday announced HMAS Broome had stopped a boat carrying 63 people northwest of Ashmore Islands on Friday. They were transferred to Christmas Island. Another boat carrying up to 18 people and two crew was also stopped east of Ashmore Islands on Saturday.
HMAS Pirie intercepted a boat carrying 41 people northwest of Darwin, also on Saturday.
Mr Stanhope said the swell season was just ending and the number of asylum-seekers on the island had dwindled over summer, but was building up again.
"Over the last few weeks there have been a number of boats, but over the last few days there has been a rush of boats and that has aligned with the end of the swell," he said.
"I think the fact there is a spike represents, in the nature of the trade, some pent-up demand at the end of the swell."
The Department of Immigration and Citizenship said that 2362 asylum-seekers had so far arrived by boat this year.
That compared with 1259 by the same time last year.
Read the whole story at The Australian online here.
UNCLASSIFIED
THE HON. JASON CLARE MP
CABINET SECRETARY
MINISTER FOR HOME AFFAIRS
MINISTER FOR JUSTICE
MEDIA RELEASE
24 March 2013
Border Protection Command intercepts vessel
HMAS Pirie, operating under the control of Border Protection Command, intercepted a suspected irregular entry vessel north-north-west of Darwin yesterday.
Initial indications suggest there are 41 people on board.
The vessel was initially detected by a Customs and Border Protection Dash 8 surveillance aircraft, operating under the control of Border Protection Command.
For operational and safety reasons Border Protection Command will now make arrangements for the people to be transferred to Australian government authorities in Darwin where they will undergo initial security, health and identity checks and their reasons for travel will be established.