Who was driving the Prime Minister's taxpayer funded car? Our reader has paid money to find out.
Tuesday, 19 March 2013
Here's a screen grab from a letter written by the Commonwealth public servant responsible for our reader's FOI request
Imagine we're all members in a local kids sports club. We chuck in money, elect one person president and compensate the president by giving her a car and petrol paid for by our subs.
8 traffic infringements turn up in 12 weeks. We have a meeting. "Madame President, who was driving the car we paid for?"
Would you cop it if your club president then did what Gillard's done? Here is the latest example of the waste, the crap and subterfuge that are the hallmark of the Gillard administration.
A quick update - this email came to one of our readers on 7 February, 2013
UNCLASSIFIED
Good afternoon Mr XXXX
The Department has gained access to documents that are within the scope of your original request. These documents may involve the unreasonable disclosure of the personal information of a third party requiring the Department to consult the third party before considering releasing the documents.
Please find attached correspondence in relation to this aspect of your FOI request.
Regards, Sue.
Sue Copley | FOI
Corporate Services Division | Legal Services Branch
Chief Operating Officer Group
Department of Finance and Deregulation
T:
A: John Gorton Building, King Edward Terrace, PARKES ACT 2600
The attachment said we'll get back to you on 8 March. They didn't.
Our reader Mr E wrote back to Sue on 8 March
Sue
I refer to my earlier requests to the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet (“PM&C”) for information under the Freedom of Information Act 1982, dated January 7, 2013. That request was subsequently passed on to the Department of Finance and Deregulation (“Department”).
You initially failed to provide the information as requested in the time required under the Act. You advised me that you were invoking provision subsection 15 (6) of the FOI that extend the period in which to respond to my request by a further 30 days. That period of extension expired on March 7 2013.
I have paid the Department as requested for the information to be provided. You have not provided any information, nor have you responded by the specified deadline.
I am now taking steps with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner and other avenues, to both highlight the Department’s failings under the FOI Act and to vigorously pursue the information requested. Please let your “Decision Maker”, Mr Warren Benson know.
Yours sincerely
Sue wrote back last week.
UNCLASSIFIED
Dear Mr
Our records indicate that a decision on your FOI is due on 9/3/13. As 9/3/13 is a Saturday, this makes your request due on the next business day, Tuesday 12 March 2013 (given the public holiday on Monday 11 March 2013).
Please find attached the decision in relation to your FOI request (our reference 13/03).
Regard, Sue
Beauty, here's the letter - my summary follows.
Download FOI decision re Gillard car
The total number of infringements caught by our correspondent's FOI application has been reduced to 5
2 are from the ACT police
2 are apparently chasers from the NSW Government for unpaid fines
1 is a chaser from Melbourne City Council, probably a parking fine
All 5 matters include Statutory Declarations, probably naming the driver involved.
The driver, referred to as a 3rd party is resisting the disclosure of information about him or herself.
The FOI masters have decided that some information about the driver should be released and have advised the driver of that decision. The driver has 30 days to appeal.
We should know more in 30 days.
Wouldn't it be easier, better for her credibility, less costly, less aggravating and demonstrably better for the nation's character if she simply told the truth first up. After all, we do employ her don't we?