Wanted, sovereign nation to appear in press conference with The Rudd - price negotiable from $1BN up
Saturday, 24 August 2013
There are now no discussions between the Australian and PNG governments about the resettlement of refugees on Manus Island.
The PNG government has also warned the Australian government of new opposition to the reopening of the Manus Island regional processing centre, serious concerns from PNG companies and a lack of consultation that could threaten progress with the extension of the centre to house 3000 asylum-seekers.
In a confidential letter obtained by The Weekend Australian, PNG's chief migration officer Mataio Rabura told Australia's Department of Immigration and Customs that Australian access to the building site at Manus and discussions on resettlement had been suspended. Mr Rabura complained about Australian officials not consulting him; tenders for work only being advertised in Australia, effectively delivering a snub to the PNG Defence Force that "can put up tents"; PNG companies not receiving the business suggested by Mr Rudd and PNG Prime Minister Peter O'Neill; and hasty decision-making.
He described the situation as one that could "jeopardise implementation of the agreement reached by our two prime ministers".
Mr Rabura said DIAC had sought meetings to discuss resettlement but added, "I am not ready to engage in discussions on resettlement until outstanding matters relating to processing are resolved."
Immigration Minister Tony Burke yesterday confirmed the PNG government had suspended access to the site on Manus Island, which is being expanded to accommodate 3000 asylum-seekers, but said access had been restored.