Click here to watch the TURC hearings into the Labor Party Loans Affair - day four
Thursday, 30 April 2015
Here are the transcripts and exhibits from yesterday's glacial proceedings.
- Transcript of public hearing—29 April 2015 [PDF 443KB]
- Transcript of public hearing—29 April 2015 [DOC 981KB]
Uncorrected proof of transcript. This will be replaced with corrected proof as soon as possible.
- Statement of Geoffrey Prime dated 22 April 2015 [PDF 165KB]
- Prime MFI#1—Transaction record of $60,000 cash cheque withdrawal dated 15 July 2011 [PDF 28KB]
- Prime MFI#2—Rules of the ETU Officers Fund as at July 2011 [PDF 666KB]
- Statement of Mary Stylii dated 22 April 2015 [PDF 170KB]
- Statement of Michael Paul McManus dated 22 April 2015 [PDF 164KB]
- McManus MFI#1—Minutes of ETU NSW State Council Meeting 14 March 2011 [PDF 197KB]
- Statement of Peter Henne dated 28 April 2015 [PDF 148KB]
- Statement of Colin Tannock Harris dated 21 April 2015 [PDF 236KB]
- CTH#1—Annexure to the Statement of Colin Tannock Harris dated 21 April 2015 [PDF 219KB]
- Harris MFI#1—Minutes of ETU NSW State Council Executive Meetings dated 18 July 2011 and 12 September 2011; Minutes of ETU NSW State Council Meetings dated 12 September 2011 and 10 October 2011 [PDF 899KB]
CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE COMMISSION LIVE
The first witness today is Steve Butler, the current secretary of the NSW Branch of the ETU.
Mr Butler has adopted his witness statement (with amendments) which has been tendered and received into evidence it is apparently quite lengthy.
Sam Dastyari's name came up in the first few minutes of Mr Butler's evidence.
The Commission was shown a letter from Dastyari dated 14 September 2012 - Dastyari was then the NSW Labor Party head - the letter is addressed to Butler as Secretary of the ETU NSW Branch.
The letter purports to set out, or refer to, the alleged loan contract between the ETU NSW Branch and the NSW Labor Party prior to the ETU making a loan to the Labor Party in December 2010. We'll publish the letter as soon as possible.
Mr Butler was quizzed about an after-the-event review of the Labor Party money transfer conducted by lawyers for the ETU - they found that the loan was made within the rules of the union.
Dyson Heydon: Senator Dastyari got much friendlier after ALP got the loan? Butler - not saying one way or the other #turc— Paul Karp (@Paul_Karp) April 30, 2015
Mr Butler was excused a little before 11AM. The interesting bits of Mr Butler's testimony are in the Exhibits which we'll review as soon as we can get them.
At about 11AM Neville Betts was sworn.