Compare treatment - RAR diggers private communications about the enemy - Muslim RAN Officer's anti-Australia pro-Islamist Twitter
Thursday, 07 January 2016
CASE NO 1 - Senior RAN Officer uses official RAN Twitter service to mock Prime Minister & run PR for our Islamist enemy
For 2 years The Royal Australian Navy's most senior Muslim officer, Captain Mona Shindy operated the Twitter account @NavyIslamic, Her pro-Islam and anti-West, anti-Australian Government Tweets mocking Tony Abbott, backing the Grand Mufti’s flawed response to the Paris terrorist attacks and commenting on hot-button national security issues resulted in complaints and fury from the broader defence community. In December, the Navy closed her Twitter service down.
Defence Minister Marise Payne was asked to comment:
Defence Minister Marise Payne said Captain Shindy was “an outstanding Australian” who had served the country “with distinction”.
Ms Payne said the navy continued to develop an “effective and engaging” social media strategy and Defence was committed to increasing cultural diversity among serving members to better reflect Australian society.
Case No 2 Soldiers operate a tightly controlled private Facebook page for serving and past members of their Regiment only. Former member contacts ABC and exposes the soldiers private thoughts about our Islamist enemy and other matters.
On 29 February 2012 the ABC ran this story based on the leak of private, confidential information of members of the Royal Australian Regiment.
http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2012/s3442781.htm
CHRIS UHLMANN, PRESENTER: Sexist, racist and abusive: that's the tone of hundreds of offensive messages posted on an internet chat site used by current and former Australian soldiers. The site and its confronting contents, uncovered by 7.30, suggest a campaign by the top brass to clean up the culture of the Australian military has a long way to go.
Last year it was the Skype sex scandal; before that, sexual misconduct by sailors. Now, a private Facebook group of more than 1,000 former and serving Defence force members provides another disturbing insight into the soldier's world.
This report from Hayden Cooper.
HAYDEN COOPER, REPORTER: Over six decades of war and peace the Royal Australian Regiment has built a proud history. It's a professional fighting force, seven battalions of soldiers, the backbone of the nation's Army. But the culture in the RAR is at times misogynistic, racist and homophobic.
DAVID MORRISON, CHIEF OF ARMY (Last night): At the core of our identity is a strong combat culture. We must preserve this because it's vital to our success, but we also need to concede that this culture has tended to exclude women and some ethnic groups who are under-represented in our ranks.
HAYDEN COOPER: In the online world, Australian soldiers stick together. This is a closed Facebook group. Gatekeepers ensure only current or former RAR soldiers are let in. The content shows why. This is a world in which Muslims are "rag heads" who should be shot.
ENDS
The members were warned disciplinary action would follow. The Chief of Army and Defence Minister Stephen Smith issued statements condemning the members for their private thoughts after the leak of their confidential information.
A few months later Sydney's Muslims rioted, threatening anyone who insulted Islam or Moammed with beheading. A mother who photographed her small child holding a "Behead all those who insult the Prophet" sign was reported to police who took no action against her.
Some Australians did not take kindly to being threatened with beheading by Muslims known for beheadings. Many responded online. Amongst the countless online reactions from outraged Australians were some defence force members. Some of them had deployed to fight Islamists who were beheading people in the Middle East.

Defence is "looking into" Facebook posts by current and former soldiers which talk of shooting Muslims who recently protested in Sydney. Picture: Mitch Cameron Source: The Australian
DEFENCE Minister Stephen Smith has warned military personnel to use social media appropriately, after complaints about inflammatory posts on Facebook.
Mr Smith, responding to comments on Facebook by serving or former soldiers, said anyone representing the defence force needed to know that “nothing these days is private” on social media, even when accounts are locked.
“We make the point to all members of the ADF (Australian Defence Force) that what they do in modern digital media, they do run the risk of what they think is private becoming public and they have got to conduct themselves accordingly,” Mr Smith told ABC radio.
“Their comments have to be appropriate and their comments have to reflect the modern Australia and the modern Australia is the Australia that says we are sensible and tolerant and look after the different make up of Australia.”
Mr Smith's comments came as it emerged a former member of the ADF, who served in Afghanistan, had posted inflammatory remarks about the recent Islamic riots in Sydney on his Facebook page.
The post sparked a flurry of further comments from users linked to the Royal Australian Regiment based in Townsville, including mentioning the use of machine guns on Muslims who took part in the violence.
“Give me a M4 and send to Sydney and I'll do the dishes,” one post read.
Another said: “I wonder if I could buy a flame thrower legally.”
One current or former soldier added: “Mate, what I would given to drop the legs on a MAG 58, slap on a 500 round belt, adopt a stable firing position in the middle of the street and lay waste to every single one of those cancerous ****.”
Yet another post said: “Cronulla round two.”
Army chief David Morrison, who has previously stated such behaviour is completely unacceptable, said the matter was under investigation.
“If it is found that there have been a soldier or soldiers involved, then I will take action as I can within the laws of the land and those that guide us in the defence force,” Lieutenant-General Morrison said.
“There is no place for it in our army and our defence force and I will take action.”
ENDS
A few months later after a full investigation involving data matching against Defence databases and Facebook's.
Australian troops in anti-Muslim Facebook scandal
- 3 YEARS AGO OCTOBER 29, 2012

Australian troops stand accused of posting anti-Muslim comments on Facebook. Source: Herald Sun
A TOTAL of 15 soldiers have been rapped over the knuckles for using Facebook to vent their hatred of Muslims following the violent Sydney riots.
Another soldier is facing further disciplinary action over online comments that included, ''Give me a M4 and send me to Sydney and I'll do the dishes.''
And, ''Mate, what I would given to drop the legs on a MAG 58 (machine gun), slap on a 500 round belt, adopt a stable firing position in the middle of the street and lay waste to every single one of those cancerous f---s.''
''Cronulla round two,'' another soldier wrote.
The comments came just days after Muslims rioted in Sydney to protest against a US-made film that denigrated the prophet Mohammed.
Army chief Lieutenant General David Morrison vowed to take strong action against the offenders from the Townsville based 3rd Brigade.
''If it is found that there have been a soldier or soldiers involved, then I will take action as I can within the laws of the land and those that guide us in the Defence Force,'' he said.
However only two of the soldiers received a formal reprimand under the Defence Force Discipline Act, 13 others were ''counselled'' and the final one is yet to face the music.
''Targeting of any person on the basis of their gender, religion, ethnicity or sexual orientation is repugnant and contrary to Defence's values as well as those held by the wider community,'' Defence said.
''The overwhelming majority of Defence personnel are professional and hard-working people who act in accordance with the values and standards.''
ENDS
The Gillard/Rudd Labor Government commissioned these reviews into the behaviour of Australian servicemen and women. None were commissioned into the atrocious behaviour of the Muslims who rioted and threatened to behead them.
Final reports
- DLA Piper Report of the Review of Allegations of Sexual and other forms of abuse in Defence
- Review of Personal Conduct of ADF Personnel
- Review of the Use of Alcohol in the ADF
- Review of Social Media and Defence
- Review of the Management of Incidents and Complaints
- Review of Employment Pathways for APS Women in the Department of Defence
- Review into the Treatment of Women in the Australian Defence Force Academy (Phase 1)
- Review into the Treatment of Women in the Australian Defence Force (Phase 2)
- Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade References Committee Report of the DLA Piper Review and the Government's Response
A favoured advertising company George Patterson Y&R won tenders for much of the "review" work, its 19 pages of contracts with the Rudd/Gillard defence department are here
Key Message to ADF non-Muslim members who to to war with Islamists
And the key message is mock the Australian Government, back our Islamist enemies and support our critics, do it in uniform, do it using an Official Navy Twitter service publicly identified with the Royal Australian Navy and Chairman Mal's Defence Minister will call you an "outstanding Australian".
Since 2012 Captain Mona Shindy has been the Royal Australian Navy's Strategic Adviser on Islam and shortly thereafter she became the operator of the @NavyIslamic Twitter service. Defence Minister Payne's assessment? "She has served the country with distinction".
For those who volunteer to go to the pointy end and get shot at by Islamists it's very different. If you privately express how you feel about the enemy who killed your mates, then have your confidential thoughts leaked to the ABC which then publishes your private communications, you are up shit creek alone without a paddle.
Lest We Forget - who is our friend and who is our enemy.