UPDATED - News Corp columnist sacked from ABC Insiders after "gossip" about former PM's sexual relationship
Monday, 07 March 2016
UPDATED
Here is Tony Abbott's statement about the Savva book.
Don't fret, Nikki Savva is fine. The ABC is still promoting her book. She said all the right things about bad Tony Abbott. Nikki will be back.
(Cover art work Stu of NT)
I'm talking about bad Piers Akerman. He mentioned Julia Gillard's private life which is very, very different.

News Corp Australia commentator Piers Akerman Source: News Limited
THE ABC has struck off one of its longest-serving political commentators on the Insiders program following a review of remarks made during the federal election about former prime minister Julia Gillard’s partner,
News Corp Australia commentator Piers Akerman was not informed of the review or given a right of reply.
He has appeared on the program just once since the Mathieson incident despite having contributed to Insiders for more than a decade.
It has emerged in an email sent to a member of the public by the ABC that the public broadcaster undertook a review of the broadcast on Sunday, June 16, 2013, which concluded that the comments made by Akerman were “inappropriate”.
“ABC News will be reviewing when and under what circumstances any future invitations for Mr Akerman to appear on Insiders might be issued,” the email said.
ABC spokesman Michael Millett did not answer questions about why ABC News management failed to contact Akerman to inform him that he was under review and offer him a right of reply.
Mr Millett also declined to clarify if Insiders intended to invite Akerman to participate in future editions of the program.
“This was all covered at the time. The note speaks for itself,” Mr Millett said.
The ABC’s producers took the decision to raise the topic after listing an interview conducted by Perth radio broadcaster Howard Sattler in which Mr Mathieson’s sexuality was discussed.
Sattler said to the then prime minister: “You hear it! ‘He must be gay; he’s a hairdresser.’ But you’ve heard it! It’s not me saying it. It’s what people say!” The radio shock jock was dismissed by the Fairfax Media-owned radio station 6PR over the incident.
The ABC producers listed the interview as an opportunity for Insider host Barrie Cassidy to open up the question of whether Gillard had been exposed to sexism during her career.
ENDS