Foreign governments will be encouraged to investigate the Clinton Foundation’s finances, as many are already turning off money spigots to the scandal-scarred group, The Post has learned.
A source close to President-elect Donald Trump’s transition team told The Post that the new administration plans to pressure the US ambassadors it will name to bring up the foundation with foreign governments — and suggest they probe its financial dealings.
Trump said last week that he would not order an investigation of Hillary Clinton’s private e-mail server or her role in the foundation.
But Trump’s statement didn’t preclude the backroom moves to investigate the group.
“Haiti and Colombia will be key diplomatic posts for this because of all the money involved,” said the source.
In Haiti, recently leaked e-mails indicate “Friends of Bill” Clinton may have been given priority from the State Department as it prepared to spend some
$10 billion in aid after a devastating earthquake hit the country in 2010. The State Department has denied any special treatment.
In Colombia, Canadian mining magnate Frank Giustra pledged $100 million to the foundation in 2005 and later benefited from the foundation’s philanthropic work in the country, where he acquired large parcels of land and set up an oil business, according to watchdog groups.
The Clinton Foundation, headed by Donna Shalala, the former health and human services secretary in the Clinton administration, has received millions from dozens of foreign governments including Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, the Netherlands, Canada, Sweden and Ireland.
Days after Hillary Clinton’s election defeat, French federal comptrollers began following a trail of tens of millions in government money that ended up in Clinton Foundation coffers, according to a document reviewed by The Post.
The Australian government last week announced that it would end its decade-long affiliation with the Clinton Foundation — a commitment that had amounted to as much as $25 million, according to the foundation’s Web site.
Norway is also scaling back. The country donated about $25 million in 2015.
Foundation donations dropped by 37 percent to $108 million last year.
Hillary Clinton left the foundation to run for president in April 2015 but Bill and daughter Chelsea Clinton remained on the board of directors. It’s not clear whether Hillary will resume her role on the board.
- April 24, 2015: Australian Government grants to the Clinton Foundation
- August 29, 2015: The various Clinton charitable foundations—you and I have given them at least $80M – and that’s just the start.
- February 29, 2016: More problems for DFAT and The Clintons over $70M we appear to have donated to a conman
- March 9, 2016: Part 1: Background to the Clinton Foundation and Clinton HIV/Aids Initiative Incorporated
- March 9, 2016: Part 2: The Clinton Foundation’s de-registered HIV/Aids Initiative—“This is not Charity”
- March 31, 2016: “Who cares? It’s just blacks dying.” Clinton, AIDS & Australian taxpayers funded pretend drugs that will make you feel sick
- July 27, 2016: Reconciling Australian taxpayer funded Clinton Foundation donations
- August 1, 2016: I need your help!
- August 5, 2016: Significant progress on Australia’s taxpayer donations to the Clinton Foundation—thank you for bearing with me
- August 7, 2016: The Clinton Foundation shakes down a charity for $500K in return for a few words and a tree seedling
- August 8, 2016: An apparent $100 million deception on Australian taxpayers “under a partnership with the Clinton Foundation”
- August 9, 2016: The truth about the Clinton Foundation’s history
- August 10, 2016: Australian Government’s $11M contract with Clinton Foundation, no goal, no purpose, no objectives—but we paid anyway
- August 10, 2016: Part 1: Bill Clinton and Australian officials in CHAI multi-million $$$ fraud and coverup
- August 10, 2016: Part 2: Bill Clinton and Australian officials in CHAI multi-million $$$ fraud and coverup
- August 10, 2016: Bill Clinton’s a lucky bloke; he might avoid a fraud conviction in Australia. Maybe.
- August 11, 2016: Understanding the US tax system and Australia’s donations to the Clintons—prohibition on benefits to insiders
- August 11, 2016: Hillary’s emails on the guy running the Malaria program who wouldn’t play ball
- August 12, 2016: Clinton’s false statement on the incorporation of CHAI #2
- August 13, 2016: Julie Bishop’s deal with Frank Giustra/Clinton Foundation! In Indonesia! What could go wrong?
- August 15, 2016: The sordid history of Australia’s deals to ‘facilitate’ the Clinton Foundation’s access to Asia
- August 17, 2016: Clinton Foundation in Australia—corporate details
- August 22, 2016: Pavlova sittings, golf, wet T-shirt competitions and the millions Bill Clinton made in Australia
- August 22, 2016: Part 1: The illegal incorporation of the Clinton HIV/Aids Initiative in Papua New Guinea
- August 26, 2016: Part 2: Warning signs for Australia that Bill Clinton was way off the straight and narrow in Papua New Guinea
- August 29, 2016: Part 1: On Papua New Guinea, Bill and Hillary, missing $$$ millions and the promised hospital that never was
- August 30, 2016: Part 2: On Papua New Guinea, Bill and Hillary, missing $$$ millions and the promised hospital that never was
- August 30, 2016: All Clinton Foundation O/S deals required US State Department Ethics Dept approval while Hillary was Secretary
- September 4, 2016: Australian Senate Enquiry into Australian Government Donations to the Clinton Foundation
- September 4, 2016: Has the Australian Government reported the Clinton Foundation’s illegal activities in Papua New Guinea to the PNG Police?
- September 5, 2016: Papua New Guinea Prime Minister rec’d $750,000 bribe at the time of the Clinton Foundation backed hospital proposal
- September 6, 2016: New documents that reveal Bill Clinton’s backdated contracts and multimillion dollar frauds in the name of HIV/AIDS
- September 6, 2016: Charles Ortel and me on what the discovery of backdated documents in the Clinton HIV Fraud means
- September 6, 2016: “What you’ve found is monumental. It was buried for Hillary’s 2006 Senate re-election” until now!
- September 6, 2016: Former Bank of America legal counsel Stuart Dean on Clinton HIV fraud
- September 8, 2016: The 21 pages deleted from The Clinton Foundation’s 2005 IRS tax-exempt annual return
- September 8, 2016: DFAT seeks extension of time on advice to PNG Police about Clinton’s sham incorporated association fraud
- September 8, 2016: Part Two of my response to your feedback about the Clinton Foundation
- September 9, 2016: Bill Clinton’s early days in tax-exempt business – and his original sin in The Bahamas tax haven
- September 10, 2016: Julie Bishop’s Department trashes $100K audit report to clear Clinton Foundation
- September 13, 2016: Clinton’s “bottom of the harbour” AIDS business—tax free millions in contract with China’s Communist Party
- September 13, 2016: 18 months after incorporation, Clinton AIDS Chairman Magaziner “doesn’t know” about its structure
- September 15, 2016: Dominican Republic “gotcha” documents that should sink the Clinton Foundation