These are Australia's Islamic leaders, the national council of Imams.
The Imams Council is sure the Burke St terrorist was a deranged individual who had nothing to do with Islam. They also reckon that they're at the forefront of countering terrorism. Who knew?
The OnePath Network, a Muslim broadcasting operation says blaming the blameless Islam is not only cheap political point scoring - it's also irresponsible.
This is from OnePath Network too:
The Bourke Street tragedy was horrific, but blaming the Muslim community is irresponsible
Last Friday, Melbourne’s Bourke Street saw another unspeakable tragedy, this time at the hands of a young man whose family and religious teacher have confirmed was afflicted with mental illness. Hassan Khalif Shire Ali stabbed three people, killing the beloved Melbourne community figure Sisto Malaspina before being shot dead by police.
As the nation came to grips with the tragedy, some Australian media outlets and politicians took the opportunity to score some cheap political points. The Home Affairs minister wasted no time in announcing potential changes to immigration laws, and our Prime Minister went as far as to “call out” what he said was the “real problem”, which was “radical, violent, extremist Islam that opposes our very way of life.”
This reaction bears comparison with a similar incident that occurred on the same street in 2017, when James Gargasoulas drove his car into a crowd of people, killing 6 and wounding 30. Since the incident, Gargasoulas has had continuous coverage about the impact of mental illness on his crime, none of which was declared a “lame excuse” by Scott Morrison, as he said on Monday in response to a statement by Shire Ali’s family.
The responses by the Prime Minister, the Home Affairs Minister, and the numerous media outlets who took the opportunity to dog-whistle about the Muslim community has been roundly criticised by Muslim leaders, with the Australian National Imams Council and the Islamic Council of Victoria both releasing statements expressing their condolences to the family of the victim, and condemning both the horrific attack, and the irresponsible response.
The Islamic Council of Victoria's on message too - it glosses over the fact that "like many people" Hassan Khalif Shire Ali's passport had been cancelled as a result of him trying to travel to Syria to join Islamic State. Once you forget about that, it's much easier to say his Islamic terror attack had nothing to do with Islam.
Here's a precis (from Wikipedia) of Australian Islamic terror attacks over the past 10 years.
Presumably the Imams et al will have a press release ready to reassure us that these too have nothing to do with Islam.
|4 August 2009||Planned Attack||0||0||Holsworthy Barracks terror plot - Five arrested for an Islamist terrorist plot uncovered in August 2009 targeting Holsworthy Barracks—an Australian Army training area with automatic weapons. Given lengthy prison terms, the judge called them an ongoing threat to society as long as they were unrepentant of their jihadist attitudes. Connected with the Somali-based terrorist group al-Shabaab.|
|23 September 2014||Stabbing||0 (+1 perpetrator)||2||2014 Endeavour Hills stabbings - 18-year-old Numan Haider stabbed two counter-terrorism officers in Endeavour Hills, a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. He was then shot dead. He had just recently had his passport canceled for fears he would join ISIL. Haider was carrying two knives and the Black Standard flag.|
|15 December 2014||Hostage Crisis and Shooting||2 (+1 perpetrator)||4||2014 Sydney hostage crisis - Man Haron Monis, a lone gunman, held hostage ten customers and eight employees of a Lindt chocolate café located at Martin Place in Sydney, Australia. The Sydney siege lead to a 16-hour standoff, during which 3 gunshots were heard from inside over a period of time. The first two shots were fired in the general direction of fleeing hostages and were left unopposed by on scene police command, however police officers from the Tactical Operations Unit stormed the café after reports the third shot was the execution of hostage Tori Johnson. Hostage Katrina Dawson was killed by a ricocheted bullet fragment in the subsequent raid. Monis was also killed. Three other hostages and a police officer were injured by police gunfire during the raid.|
|10 February 2015||Planned Attack||0||0||Fairfield Raids - police in Sydney were tipped off two Islamic jihadists preparing terror attacks, arrested after observed purchasing weapons. They had already made a martyrdom video.|
|2 October 2015||Shooting||1 (+1 perpetrator)||0||2015 Parramatta shooting - 15 year old Farhad Khalil Mohammad Jabar, an Iraqi-Kurd, shot dead Curtis Cheng, a civilian employee of the New South Wales Police, before being shot dead by a New South Wales Police officer during a shootout.|
|10 September 2016||Stabbing||0||2||2016 Minto stabbing attack - A 22-year-old man inspired by Islamic State stabbed a man before being arrested and charged with attempted murder. He also inflicted minor injuries on a nearby shop owner.|
|7 April 2017||Stabbing||1||3||2017 Queanbeyan stabbing attacks - On 7 April 2017, a pair of 15 and 16 year old boys entered a service station in the small town of Queanbeyan in NSW and stabbed a 29-year old Zeeshan Akbar of Pakistani descent and Zeeshan soon died at the scene. Three other men were also attacked and injured at the scene. The 16-year old's mother had told police that she believed that her son had been radicalised in recent weeks and that he sympathised with Islamic State and had also posted concerning posts on Facebook.|
|5 June 2017||Hostage taking, shooting||1 (+1 perpetrator)||3||2017 Brighton siege - Yacqub Khayre shot dead a Chinese-Australian receptionist in a serviced apartment complex and took a prostitute hostage in Brighton, Victoria. Police officers were involved in gunfight with Khayre who was shot dead and three officers wounded. ISIL claimed responsibility for the attack and Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull described the incident as terrorism, however Victoria Police warned that there was no evidence to suggest he was acting on orders given from overseas. Khayre had previously been charged in relation to the Holsworthy Barracks terror plot but was acquitted in trial. He had recently been released on parole.|
|9 February 2018||Stabbing||0||1||Momena Shoma, a Bangladeshi national, stabbed a 56-year-old man in the neck while he was asleep at his Callistemon Rise home in Mill Park, Victoria. She has been charged with engaging in a terrorist act and it’s alleged she was inspired by terror group Islamic State.|
|9 November 2018||Stabbing||1||3||2018 Melbourne stabbing attack Somali immigrant stabs 3 individuals, 1 deceased. Attacked police in Bourke Street, Melbourne CBD before being shot and killed by Victorian Police.|
And you can add these attempted attacks foiled by authorities to the list also courtesy of Wikipedia.
Neil Prakash is a former Buddhist from Melbourne who became a jihadist and changed his name to name Abu Khaled al-Cambodi.
He was linked to a number of domestic terror threats, including an alleged Anzac Day terror plot in Melbourne and the shooting death of NSW police worker Curtis Cheng in western Sydney in 2015. Later, he fled to Syria and became a senior recruiter for the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, appearing in propaganda videos and magazines with the intention of recruiting people to commit acts of terrorism.
Prakash was reportedly killed by a targeted US air strike in northern Iraq in May 2016. Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull commented: "Neil Prakash's death is a very, very positive development in the war against Daesh and the war against terror". The Herald Sun later reported that Australian security officials were "almost certain" that Prakash had not been killed in the airstrike and had continued to act as a recruiter for the group. In November 2016, Australian counter-terrorism officials confirmed that Prakash was still alive, and had been arrested after attempting to enter Turkey from Syria.
Khaled Cheikho, Moustafa Cheikho, Mohamed Ali Elomar, Abdul Rakib Hasan and Mohammed Omar Jamal were found guilty of conspiring to commit a terrorist act or acts. They were jailed on 15 February 2010 for terms ranging from 23 to 28 years.
Benbrika Group in Melbourne
In September 2008, of an original nine defendants, five men including the Muslim cleric, Abdul Nacer Benbrika were convicted of planning a terrorist attack. During the trial, the jury heard evidence of plans to bomb the 2005 AFL Grand Final, 2006 Australian Grand Prix and the Crown Casino, as well as a plot to assassinate then Prime Minister John Howard.
Holsworthy Barracks terror plot
On 4 August 2009, four men in Melbourne were charged over the Holsworthy Barracks terror plot, an alleged plan to storm the Holsworthy Barracks in Sydney with automatic weapons; and shoot army personnel or others until they were killed or captured. The men are allegedly connected with the Somali-based terrorist group al-Shabaab. Prime Minister Kevin Rudd subsequently announced a federal government review of security at all military bases.
In December 2011 Justice Betty King sentenced three of the men to 18 years in prison with minimum terms of 13 1/2. She said that they were all "unrepentant radical Muslims and would remain a threat to the public while they held extremist views".
Mohammed Abderrahman, aka Willie Brigitte, is a French Islamist al-Qaeda recruit who resided with Faheem Lodhi while in Australia in 2003, during which time he married a former Australian Army signaller. He was arrested by Australian immigration compliance officials in Sydney six weeks after the marriage and deported to France.
His wife said before a French investigating judge that at times he had 'bombarded' her with questions on the subject of her military knowledge and career. She reports that she rebuffed such questioning or responded minimally 'so that he would leave [her] in peace' and that she burned three of her notebooks originating from the period of her military service in East Timor as a precaution. She reported his anger about her taking such precautions, his presumption to forbid her from further similar actions, and she exactly confirmed his repeated statement of the opinion that "Allah and all Muslims need this information" in order to obtain information of a military character from her.
In December 2006, it was reported that a basis for French terrorism-related charges laid against him was the allegation that he aided the murderers of Ahmad Shah Masood by supplying them with false identity documents.
In early 2007 he was in custody as a terrorism suspect in France where prosecutors called for him to be sentenced to 10 years' imprisonment for his admitted involvement in a terrorist organisation.
On 15 March 2007 Brigitte was found guilty and received a nine-year prison sentence.
Joseph T. Thomas
On 28 August 2006, following the quashing of his terrorism convictions, Joseph T. Thomas (also dubbed "Jihad Jack") was the first person to be issued with a control order under the Australian Anti-Terrorism Act 2005 after written consent was provided by the Australian Attorney-General Philip Ruddock. In December 2007 a control order was issued against David Hicks to ensure that he was monitored upon his release.
2015 Anzac Day terror plot
Sevdet Besim was arrested on 18 April 2015. Aged 18 and born to parents of Albanian origin, he planned to drive a car into and kill, then behead, a law enforcement officer on Anzac Day in Melbourne. He was subsequently sentenced to 15 years' imprisonment on 5 September 2016.
2017 airline bombing plot
On 31 October 2017, Tamin Khaja plead guilty to planning a terrorist attack on targets in Sydney that included the Timor Army Barracks and Sydney West Trial Courts. He was arrested in May 2016 as he was attempting to obtain firearms, explosives and an Islamic State flag.
On 3 November 2017 Sulayman Khalid, also known as "Abu Bakr", was sentenced to up to 22 years and 6 months' jail in the NSW Supreme Court by Justice Geoffrey Bellew. He was the leader among five of six conspirators who were sentenced in connection to a plot between 7 November and 18 December 2014 that targeted government sites, including the Lithgow Correctional Centre and an Australian Federal Police building in Sydney. Jibryl Almaouie, Mohamed Almaouie, Farhad Said and an unnamed teenager were all sentenced to jail terms for their part. Ibrahim Ghazzawy, the sixth conspirator was earlier in 2017 sentenced to a minimum of 6 years and 4 months. Khalid appeared on the SBS program Insight in 2014,where he said that Islamic State only wanted to bring "justice, peace and humanitarian aid to the people". He later stormed off the set.  Khalid was arrested on 23 December 2014 by Joint Counter Terrorism Team members as part of Operation Appleby.
Federation Square attack plot
On 27 November 2017 an Australian man of Somali parentage was arrested for plotting a mass shooting. Twenty-year-old Ali Khalif Shire Ali from Werribee, Victoriawas charged the next day in Melbourne Magistrates' Court with: preparing to commit a terrorist attack, and gathering documents to facilitate a terrorist act. Police believed that Ali planned to "shoot and kill as many people as he could" in Federation Square, Melbourne on New Year's Eve.