The Roseville branch of the Liberal Party moved last night for the expulsion of Malcolm Turnbull from the party.
The motion, passed 16-2, will now go to the party’s federal electorate conference.
Were it to be successful there, it would go to the party’s state council.
Sources from the branch said the motion was brought after Mr Turnbull failed to support the Liberal Party in the Wentworth by-election and after he “knifed” former Wentworth MP Peter King, former Opposition Leader Brendan Nelson and former Prime Minister Tony Abbott during his political career.
THREE PEOPLE ARRESTED IN COUNTER TERRORISM OPERATION IN MELBOURNE
Tuesday, 20 November 2018 08:19
Victoria Police, the Australian Federal Police, the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO), and other agencies which form part of the Joint Counter Terrorism Team have conducted an operation in Melbourne.
Operation Donabate resulted in the arrest of three men and the execution of four warrants in the North West Metro Region this morning.
Three men remain in custody.
• A 30-year-old man from Dallas
• A 26-year-old man from Campbellfield
• A 21-year-old man from Greenvale
A fourth property was searched in Coolaroo.
It will be alleged the three men arrested were involved in undertaking preparations for planning a terrorist act in Melbourne.
The operation is ongoing and further information will be made available at the appropriate time.
Victoria Police would like to reassure the community that the threat has been contained and there is no on-going threat.
The community should continue to go about their daily business and report any suspicious activity to triple zero (000), Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or the National Security Hotline on 1800 123 400.
The Federation of Ethnic Communities’ Councils of Australia (FECCA) said today that the Prime Minister’s snap decision to cut immigration numbers by 30,000 showed a lack of leadership and was driven by dubious polling.
The Chairperson of FECCA, Mary Patetsos, said today: “At a time when leadership is required, we see Prime Minister Scott Morrison reacting to a divisive agenda.
“Our strong immigration level is vital to Australia’s economic growth, something Mr Morrison himself emphasised earlier this year when he declared that cutting immigration would negatively impact the Budget, that it would ‘hit the bottom line, the deficit’
“Instead of now declaring ‘enough, enough, enough’, Mr Morrison should be showing national leadership with a comprehensive plan to improve the nation’s infrastructure so that it can service a growing, prosperous nation.
“It is not good enough for the nation’s Prime Minister to abandon long-term vision for our future and opt for short-term populist politics.
“The real issue in the so-called ‘immigration debate’ is inadequate infrastructure, not migrant numbers. We need a Government that shows true leadership on population policy,” Ms Patetsos said. FECCA is the national peak body representing Australians from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds. Our role is to advocate and promote issues on behalf of our constituency to government, business and the broader community. Contact: 0403 044 216 / [email protected]
We know your time is precious. You’re busy with family, work, friends and the steady demands of many other commitments.
Our mission is simple: to protect, defend and advance mainstream values and freedoms while championing the institutions which strengthen the Australian way of life.
By joining Advance Australia you can amplify your voice and have a greater say!
Signing up is free and we’ve made it super easy to make your views heard in just a few clicks.
The only way we can push back on issues like political correctness, raids on your superannuation, activists trying to move Australia Day and so many other issues, is to create a growing movement of mainstream Australians who can’t be ignored.
We’re a not for profit movement based on values, not a political party. We welcome anyone who shares our beliefs. And because we’re not running for office, we won’t be back flipping or making promises we can’t keep!
Sign up today and lend your voice to achieving a fair go and follow us on Facebook.
We’ll keep you updated, so you can quickly and easily support the issues that matter most to you and thousands of other mainstream Australians. We’ll keep it short and straightforward so we don’t take up your valuable time.
By joining Advance Australia, you’ll be joining Australia’s “silent majority”. There are millions of Australians just like you.
Here's the obituary in The Australian, just published.
Cartoonist Larry Pickering dies aged 76
Cartoonist Larry Pickering has died, aged 76. Picture Mike Batterham
Iconic Australian cartoonist Larry Pickering died last night at the age of 76 surrounded by family.
Pickering was trailblazer of Australian cartooning who paved the way for a new generation of political cartoonists.
Larry Pickering in 1988.
He fought a long battle with cancer after he was diagnosed in 2016 and given just a few a months to live.Fellow cartoonist Paul Zanetti said Pickering’s spirit kept him fighting.
“He just had the most indomitable spirit, very defiant …” he said. “He was given only a few months to live a couple of years ago when they first diagnosed tumours in his lungs.
“He just refused to accept he was going to die.”
Pickering, left, died aged 76.
Pickering left hospital and went home to be with him family, according to a blog entry posted to his website The Pickering Post on Friday.
The cancer had spread to his liver and he had lost a lot of weight but was refusing painkillers because he wanted to remain conscious for the time he had left.
Zanetti said the influential cartoonist embodied the true Australian spirit.
“He was unique, he had a unique mind …. he was a one-off larrikin, he embodied the true Australian spirit.”
The cartoonist leaves behind his wife Carol and 11 grandchildren.
Shocking confusion or misleading/deceptive conduct on the part of senior ministers and officers of the Victorian Labor/CFMEU administration.
From The Australian just now.
Victoria’s top cop has revealed the organisation would have been aware that the Bourke Street terrorist’s passport had been cancelled through its role in counter-terrorism activities with federal agencies.
Comments this morning by Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton on 3AW radio — that “we were as aware as federal agencies on that” — are at odds with Victorian Attorney-General Martin Pakula’s insistence on Friday that information about Hassan Khalif Shire Ali’s passport having been cancelled had not been conveyed to Victoria Police.
Mr Ashton also confirmed that he withheld information about Shire Ali being on bail when he was asked directly at a press conference on the evening of November 9 attack that left one man dead and two injured.
Shire Ali, 30, was shot by police after he drove into Melbourne’s city centre and set his ute filled with gas bottles alight and attacked bystanders indiscriminately with a knife.
Shire Ali attacks police on Bourke St.
“I was certainly aware there was a possibility he was on bail because I think we had a court date but it was all pretty sketchy information,” Mr Ashton said, admitting it was an “oversight on my part” that he wasn’t upfront on that when asked by a reporter.
Mr Ashton also revealed that Labor Premier Daniel Andrews was briefed on the offender’s bail status over the weekend — most likely Saturday morning — but that he had not told the Opposition.
While Mr Ashton denied withholding information for political reasons, news of Shire Ali’s bail status — issued at a roadside by a police officer in relation to driving offences — as well as confusion over who knew what about his passport cancellation, has the government heading into the final election week facing scrutiny over what more could have been done to prevent the attack.
As reported in today’s The Australian, ASIO and the Department of Home Affairs have issued statements indicating that crucial information regarding Shire Ali’s passport cancellation would have been passed on to state authorities as a matter of course.
His passport was cancelled after ASIO judged that he was planning to travel to Syria to join Islamic State.
ENDS
I've not seen the incident from this angle before.