Thanks to Tim Andrews for the tip on this.
This is not a joke - it's fair dinkum. Literally.
I give you the Australian Senate Select Committee enquiring into Fair Dinkum Power - chaired by Sarah Hanson Young.
We have lost the plot.
Fair Dinkum Power
On 28 November 2018 the Senate established the Select Committee into Fair Dinkum Power to inquire into:
- the potential for empowering energy consumers to play a more important role in the National Electricity Market, through providing diverse services in:
- energy generation,
- demand response and energy efficiency,
- grid stability and reliability services,
- alternatives to conventional network investment, and
- peer-to-peer trading between households and businesses;
- the potential for these services to deliver lower energy costs and increased energy reliability;
- the changing role of retailers in the National Electricity Market in light of the growing empowerment of consumers;
- the impacts of privatisation;
- regulatory reforms which would empower energy consumers, including the following key groups:
- households, including low income households and renters,
- small businesses, and
- major energy users;
- the likely long-term impacts, including to emissions, reliability and stability, of energy consumers playing a larger role; and
- any other related matters.
The closing date for submissions is 15 February 2019.
The committee is due to report on 30 June 2019.
Committee Secretariat contact:
Department of the Senate
PO Box 6100
Canberra ACT 2600
Phone: 02 6277 3530
Fax: 02 6277 5809