This is the mob that blocks roads and makes people late for work.
How's their form in putting forward their "demands"
Extinction Rebellion declares a climate bee-mergency in the streets of Sydney
9am Tuesday 8 October
Archibald Fountain, Hyde Park
Extinction Rebellion (XR) is joining with beekeepers to perform the death of bees at a die-in at Hyde Park on Tuesday morning. Bees are under threat from the climate emergency, they are losing their habitat, they are at greater risk of diseases and colony collapse. Bees are essential pollinators, without them, our crops will fail and food production will be compromised.
Rebels dressed as bees will perform the die-in in Hyde Park before taking their demands for urgent action on the climate and ecological emergency to the streets.
A spokesperson who is a beekeeper will be available for interviews.
Elly Baxter, 0407 163 921, firstname.lastname@example.org
Acknowledgement of Country
These actions take place on the stolen land of the Gadigal people of the Eora Nation. XR NSW acknowledges their sovereignty and pays respect to their elders past and present. First Nations people around the world have been the frontline against colonial expansion and environmental destruction for centuries. Always was, always will be, Aboriginal land.
What are Extinction Rebellion’s demands?
Our demands are that the:
- Government must TELL THE TRUTH by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
- Government must ACT NOW to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
- Government must create and be led by the decisions of a CITIZENS’ ASSEMBLY on climate and ecological justice.
The truth is that:
- Despite paying lip service to the emergency, the Government has ploughed on with business as usual. The Australian PM Scott Morrison refused to even attend the UN Climate Summit and the Australian government continues to spruik coal sales internationally while ignoring young people’s cries.
- While over 30 cities and local councils around Australia have declared a climate emergency, the Federal Government still refuses to acknowledge and tell the truth about the climate emergency.
- Australia currently holds the shameful record of the fastest rate of species extinctions in the world - but members of the government’s inner cabinet refuse to acknowledge the scientific consensus that we are facing climate breakdown.
About Extinction Rebellion:
Extinction Rebellion is a now global movement that started in London in 2018. It uses civil disobedience as a means to draw attention and force governments to take action on the climate crisis.
Time has almost entirely run out to address the ecological crisis which is upon us, including the sixth mass species extinction, global pollution, and abrupt, runaway climate change. Societal collapse and mass death are seen as inevitable by scientists and other credible voices, with human extinction also a possibility, if rapid action is not taken.
Extinction Rebellion believes it is a citizen’s duty to rebel, using peaceful civil disobedience.