The news comes after Indian Army said one of its officers and two soldiers were killed in a "violent faceoff" at Galwan Valley, one of the four standoff points in the eastern Ladakh sector. These are the first reported casualties in decades to result from a clash between the nuclear-armed neighbours. China has so far not confirmed the deaths or numbers of injured. The Indian army said on Tuesday senior military officials from both sides were meeting to calm the situation.
The statement said: “Senior military officials of the two sides are currently meeting at the venue to defuse the situation."
Reports suggest ammunition was used and it was a physical battle.
Hu Xijin, editor-in-chief of China's Global Times newspaper tweeted: "Based on what I know, Chinese side also suffered casualties in the Galwan Valley physical clash."
The Global Times is published by the People's Daily, the official newspaper of China's ruling Communist Party.
Responding to the news retired US Army colonel Lawrence Sellin tweeted telling China "don't mess with India".
He said: China - Don't mess with India. Despite the tragic Indian losses, the Indian Army deliveries punishing casualties on the Chinese People's Liberation Army aggressors."
The two sides have been locked in a standoff in the Galwan valley in western Himalayas for weeks with both accusing each other of trespassing into the other's territory.
The Indian army said there had been an incident on Monday and both sides had suffered casualties.
The army said: "During the de-escalation process underway in the Galwan Valley, a violent face-off took place yesterday night with casualties on both sides.
"The loss of lives on the Indian side includes an officer and two soldiers. Senior military officials of the two sides are currently meeting at the venue to defuse the situation."